Saturday 14 November 2020

Killick there, light along a pot of coffee, will you?

 On a whim, I decided to read all the Aubrey and Maturin books again. I am currently reading book eight, The Ionian Mission.


Of course, that reminded me that I had invested in Warlord's Black Seas when it came out. I decided to start with HMS Surprise as I was reading Master and Commander.

So I painted up two brigs, one English and one French.


Then I added the standing rigging to HMS Surprise.


Then the sails were added.



...and a 28mm Rifleman to show you the scale.


Since then I have started work on a frigate, but got diverted by other things. But I will finish it and get a game going soon.





“Two weevils crept from the crumbs. 'You see those weevils, Stephen?' said Jack solemnly.

I do.'

Which would you choose?'

There is not a scrap of difference. Arcades ambo. They are the same species of curculio, and there is nothing to choose between them.'

But suppose you had to choose?'

Then I should choose the right-hand weevil; it has a perceptible advantage in both length and breadth.'

There I have you,' cried Jack. 'You are bit - you are completely dished. Don't you know that in the Navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevils? Oh ha, ha, ha, ha!”





2 comments:

A J said...

But m' lord, not wishing to clap a stopper over your capers, is the Surprise not a frigate, a very handsome sixth-rate frigate of 28 guns? Surely 'twas the Sophie of which you were thinking when you crafted that delightful brig?

Martin Thornton said...

Yes, of course, ye mumping swab. You're right, mate. The brig is to be Sophie and the frigate is to be Surprise. I can only plead senility and a the prospect of a lee shore!