Sunday 27 January 2019

Alf Tupper Joins the Commandos


·     Alf used to live with his Aunt Meg in Anchor Alley, Loose-Chippings. The house had one room upstairs and one room downstairs; Alf's bed was a mattress on the kitchen floor. He was employed as a welder working in Ike Smith's welding shop which was located under a railway arch, his wages were £1. 5s per week of which he paid his Aunt £1.2s.6d for rent. This meant he had 2/6d for himself. Following a bust up with his Aunt Meg, he moved into Ike Smith's welding shop, sleeping on a mattress by his workbench. Alf joined the Much-Piddling Harriers paying a subscription fee of half a guinea; he was only a member of the Harriers for three weeks and was instructed to return his membership card by Major-General Kenwood-Chef the Honorary Secretary, following an on-track fight with ‘Catsmeat’ Potter-Pirbright in the 440 yards at the Much-Piddling Harriers Sports meeting. According to Alf ‘Catsmeat’ called him a ‘guttersnipe’. Alf's staple diet is fish and chips wrapped in newspaper. On call-up, Alf was a natural for the Commandos as the ‘Tough of the Track’.


Having now managed to complete five Commandos I couldn't resist a group shot. So here they are:


L to R: Alf Tupper, Sgt. Labalaba, the Laird, 'Tickle' McScrotum and Stavros.

4 comments:

Frank O Donnell said...

All present & correct sir, their looking great Martin :)

Martin Thornton said...

Many thanks Frank. I am quite pleased with them. Some more characters to come yet. Awaiting a few little parcels from the Postman!

Doug said...

I can’t belive I missed Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track, appearing. And now Matt Braddock.....! I admit to feeling a bit misty-eyed when I saw his appearance was dedicated to me.

Doug

Martin Thornton said...

So glad you can post now. When I thought I needed an RAF chappie for Snapforce I immediately thought of Braddock and you!